Thursday, November 10, 2011

It is time to begin

I sold my 50 Dodge Pilothouse truck.  It is now time to turn the attention to this basket case.  I found a good deal (I think so.....my wife is dubious) on a Dodge Dakota with v8, power steering, power windows and locks, power mirrors,  AC, disc brakes and 4x4.  Windows are cracked, idled rough,  doors mismatched and tires too big.....perfect for my project!!

I bought it and drove it home.  Did a little tinkering and now the idle is great.  It seems to run strong and was supposedly revuilt some time in the past.  Currently it has 237k miles on it so the supsension is a bit soft but that just makes for a plush ride. 

Some of you may be asking why a Dakota.  Based on all that I have read on the internet....and there is a lot out there the Chevy S-10 is the most popular frame swap but is a bit too narrow for these trucks without having to deal with new rear axles and front wheel spacers.  Also you can adapt a the S-10 for a V8 but the Dakota comes stock with a Dodge Magnum V8 without having to mess with anything.

Where to from here.

1) Working on the basic cab/fender body work.  The cab has some cancer at the base.  I may have a tough time with some of it but I think I can manage.  The front fenders are OK but need some work.  I may need a professional for some of it but that can wait for later.
2) The IHC has a front windshilef frame that has a bit of cancer to deal with.  I want to save it though becuase it has an opening mechanism that when turned (like a window rolling mechanism) the lower lip of the windshield opens outward.  I have to figure out how to keep that.
3) I have 2 good doors.  The window mechanisms work but I want to make them power units and suicide doors.  ( that may be above my pay grade.....but I can dream)
4) I have to rip the sheet metal off of the Dakota.  Some transplants take the entire cab off then go from there.  I am going to try and save the Dakoat firewall and floor and graft the IHC cab onto the Dakota floor pan and firewall.  I am not sure about grafting in the dashboard.  I would like to keep the heat/AC and guages but I am not sure how much room I will have in the older IHC cab as it is much narrower at the firewalk than the Dakota.  The Dakota dash is 53", the IHC is 43".  
5)  I wanted a 2wd but the 4wd is what I found for the right price.  That will be better in the long run if I can drop the stance a little and keep it low and not look like a jacked up redneck ride.  (Here is probalby where you are laughing anyway thinking 47 IHC + Dodge Dakota = RedNeck ride no matter what I do!!!)
6) Dual exhaust......
7) Find a stepside bed......I know you are asking how I start a project like this without a bed.....yes I did!  I can acutally probably use one from a Chevy or Ford of the same era.

I will have to update some pictures........

No comments:

Post a Comment