Sunday, December 11, 2011

Cut to fit.....

Time start the cab fitting process.  The first pic shows the front passenger body mount that was cut from the frame.  This will be re-used in a slightly different location.
Original front body mount removed

This pic is under the rear driver section of the cab.  You can see the hole for the original fuel filler which will eventually be smoothed and welded over. The interesting part for me today is further to the right where you can see the elevated areas that were pressed into the steel for stiffness.  This is where my new body mount was going to be welded in.  Since I am using 1.5"x 2.5" tubing this presented a challenge since the rectangular tubing would not be able to lay flat.  I took out my trusty grinder and went at it.  I cut out jut the elevated bead section which will allow the new body mount to be welded flat.


Don't give me grief about my welding.  This is a quick tack weld so I can check position and location.  I also needed to identify where the holes need to be drilled.
Driver rear cab mount tack welded in place for fit.
 This is the front passenger side with the old frame mount cut off, trimmed to be more narrow by about 1" and tack welded further to the rear for the new mount location.  You can see the rectangular tubing of the new mount and for now I am reusing the old body mount rubber.  I will likely order a new set. ($90 ouch)

Passenger rear with tack welded body mount and relacated frame mount.

Next in line for my to do list:
1) modify the threaded inserts from the Dakota that will go in the rectangular tubing.  Then need to have some minor adjustability to get the cab fit correct.
2) recheck front sheet metal fit with the body mounts in place
3) design a tilt front mechanism......this one is currently kicking my butt since I have very little room up front and also need to get a custom radiator to fit in as well........

No comments:

Post a Comment