Saturday, December 31, 2011

Radiator and front end work

The radiator was getting to be a problem.  I took my Dakota radiator to a local shop that did a great job.  He narrowed the radiator by about 5 inches, took out the built in transmission cooler and overall did a great job.  It takes a good eye to see where he cut the upper and lower tank and welded them back together.  I have not put the sheet metal on for test fit but the upper and lower fitting look good and it is much more narrow than the one I ordered from Jegs so I think it should fit with minimal difficulty.  I will need to fabricate a radiator brace with this should be fairly simple.

The work was done by Radiator King , 4103 West Overland Road, Boise, ID 83705 , (208) 336-6504
Initial Radiator fit
 Here are some other pics of the front end showing how the front bumper should fit on the extended support. You can also see the basics of how I intend to create the front tilt. I will use a longer section of C-channel which will fit over the 2x3 tubing which is welded to the frame. The C-channel with hold the bumper, go through the slots in the sheet metal and will be welded to a bracket I will fabricate on the inside of the front sheet metal. I will use 5/8" steel rod pivot point that will be removable so the entire front can be easily removed.


Basic ides of the front pivot mechanism


Basic front bumper fit

The next thing on the list is fabrication of the brackets to attach the front sheet metal to the pivot mechanism and fabrication of the radiator bracket.

No comments:

Post a Comment