Sunday, December 25, 2011

Fabrication work

How to create a tilt-front.  That has been bugging me for a while.  This weekend I started in what I hope will be a good option.  I am fabricating a set of posts of 2x3 tubing that will be welded to the front frame crossmember.  The posts will be spaced to exit the front of the grill where the original bumper mounts were located.  The end of the post will have a set of holes drilled.  I have a C-channel that fits nicely over the tubing that will also fit through the gap (after a little surgery ) which will extend all the way to the front bumper then back through the grill and will be mounted to whatever frame I fab for the inside of the front grill/fender/hood sheet metal.

You can also see from the pics that I have notched the Dakota fender and I will cut some off of the ends.  I think the Dakota bumper is going to work fairly well.  On and original IHC there was a sheet metal piece that filled the gap between bumper and grill.  I will enentually have to create one.

Notched Bumper from the Dakota

Sizing up the front bumper to check fit

Basic framework for future tilt-front mechanism
The posts coming through the grill slots

As for the radiator.  I sent back the new one that would not fit and took my Dakota radiator down to a local shop and they are going to try and cut about 4" out of it and then I will see if I can get it to fit.    Cross your fingers and toes for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment