Saturday, December 3, 2011

Hey, it's looking like a truck

It's finally looking like a truck!  This weekend I have been working on the rough fit to see if this project can actually work.

I have read many web sites describing a body transplant on different rigs, mostly using an S-10 chassis.  I felt the best first step was to set the front fenders and get the front tires centered in the wheel wells.  Some set the cab then end up with uncentered front wheels or having to move your steering mechanism forward.

As I worked on setting it up I had to perform surgery on the sheet metal.   (Apologies to the purists)  The first metal to go was the inner fender wells.  Since I am going to do a front tilt clip I knew I would have to lose these anyway so out come the grinder.

Fender with inner fender well removed
This allowed me to slide the fenders on but then I found my next problem.....length....or I should say, lack of length in the front.  I removed the hydraulic fan clutch and will eventually use an electric fan mechanism with my radiator.  The width of the Magnum V8 causes a problem up front.  I could solve it by moving the engine back but that would require new motor mounts and since this is a 4x4 I would have to move the transfer case, etc so more surgery is needed up front.   So, the width of the belt/pulley system was going to run into the IHC original "U" shaped radiator support.  More surgery!!!   With my trusty grinder I cut out the radiator support bracket.  This bracket is part of the support for the front but since I plan on bolting the hood to the fenders I am not worried  about the loss of the support.

Wheel too far back in wheel well before surgery
With the support gone I pulled out some milk crates, a jack and some scrap wood and slid it on.  I was able to get the 4" in needed.  This will mean that I will likely need a narrow, custom radiatior since the DAkota radiator is 28" wide and I wll need one about 21" wide.

After seeing the front clip on I got excited and slid the cab down and forward.  The original front body mounts on the IHC are the exact width of the Dakota frame.  I can't use the mount but I was amazed at the dimension.  I will likely have to cut off the frame body mount bracket, narrow it, and move it toward the rear about 8".  The rear frame mounts will work but I will have to fabricate new body brackets.  I will see if I can cut the Dakota mounts out and use them.


Starting to look like a truck!!

 Overall, I am excited about how it is starting to come together. So what't next?



1. Fabricte a front tilt mount mechanism.......anyone have any ideas....
2. Fabricate the body mounts.
3. Firewall modifications for steering wheel, brake booster, and heat/ac unit.
4. Floor pan fabrication
5. Radiator and radiator bracket
6. Mount brake pedal

No comments:

Post a Comment