Sunday, December 18, 2011

Road trip

I have been looking for some rear fenders for my project.  I found Vintage Automotive in Mountain Home (45 min drive).  Jim said he had a couple of the IHCs that had some good parts.  I hooked up the trailer and took off.  What a place!  Acres of old cars and trucks.  Stacks of hoods, fenders, radiators, bumpers, axles, brake drums and anything else you might ever look for.  I don't know how he would identify most of it but it is a scavengers dream.

He drove me up to the IHCs in his International pickup (1970's model I think) that nearly had 500,000 miles on it.  He showed my 3 separate IHCs.  The green one in the pic had the best parts.  We pulled out his tools and went to work.  And work it was.  It took 3 of us over 3 hours to remove 2 rear fenders, a front right fender, and drivers side running board.  I also picked up unbroken front turn signal markers, a windshiled frame crank and two headlight assemblies minus the headlight ring trim.

I thought about taking the whole bed but it had enough cancer in it that it would have been hard to work with.  It was also the 8 1/2' bed which would have require major modification for what I want.   Also the local CraigsList has a couple of later model IHC bed trailers listed.  I hope to pick one up and use it.

Eventually I will probably go back for some other odds and ends.  Especially when I try to fit a bumper.  He does not have an IHC bumper but there are so many other cool bumpers I think I can find one that will work.

Wanna buy a hood

Chrome baby.  They don't make it like this anymore

Not sure what it is but it looked cool

This is the KB-2 I cannabalized

Oh, the sadness


My cab up with help of the lift to get at the new body mounts


No comments:

Post a Comment